Nowadays, many users use virtual numbers on the Internet instead of traditional numbers for various tasks, such as receive SMS, registering accounts, watching movies and taking paid subscriptions, calling a cab, using online services and much more.
But what are virtual numbers and how do they differ from regular numbers? In this article we’ll look at the main differences between virtual numbers and traditional numbers, and why many companies choose virtual numbers for their businesses. We’ll also give you a list of current and reliable providers.
What is a virtual number & SIM card?
SIM stands for Subscriber Identification Module. This chip must be inserted into your smartphone, only then will it work and you will be able to make and receive calls, SMS and MMS.
A virtual number is the same phone number, but it is only available on the Internet. You don’t need a smartphone, cell phone or SIM card to use it. You can get and use it through a regular browser or an application from any device, as long as you have access to the Internet.
The main differences between virtual numbers and traditional cellular numbers
So, what’s the difference between a virtual and a standard number? And how do you choose which is better for you?
Let’s start with physical phone numbers. This type of phone number is usually set up and provided by the local phone company. To take advantage of all the benefits of a SIM card, you first need to buy the chip itself, then insert it in your device and top up your account. This is not a simple or cheap task.
On the other hand, a virtual phone number that is in no way tied to your device or location. It works thanks to special software that resides on the provider’s side. Thus, the user can use the service over the Internet from any device and regardless of his location.
It means that you can receive SMS on virtual number in office, at home or in any other place. In addition, you can choose a mobile number of any countries without restrictions, depending on your needs and desires.
Virtual Number – Advantages and Possibilities
- Saving money when buying. Connecting a virtual number is cheaper and easier than going to the office and getting a regular SIM card. Especially if you don’t need all the features of mobile communications, but only the ability to receive SMS.
- No connection to a specific location. Virtual numbers are available in all countries, regardless of your real location. You can get American, Indian, Chinese and other countries’ mobile numbers.
- Anonymity. A virtual phone number is not assigned to you or your device in any way. All you need to get it is to complete a simple registration on the provider’s website.
- Easy to use. Any user can get access to virtual number and it does not require any special skills and equipment. All you need is to register on provider’s website and follow the instructions of the company.
List of Virtual Number Providers
The final list of virtual number providers may depend on the location in which you are located. However, here are a few virtual number providers that are popular in various countries:
- SMS-man is a virtual number provider that offers phone number rentals that can receive SMS from 1,000 different services. The platform offers mobile numbers from 190+ different countries, which are automatically replenished daily.
- Twilio is one of the most popular virtual number providers in the world. It provides many tools for creating and managing virtual numbers, including APIs, SDKs and many others.
- Plivo is another popular virtual number provider that provides global coverage in over 190 countries. It also offers many features, including text messaging, voice calls, and autoresponders.