Fashion has plenty of legs when it comes to Spring Summer 2010 trends. Women the world over will be flashing their pins in sexy hotpants, bottom-skimming boy shorts and pantaloon-style bloomers. What they all have in common is the length — short short short and short.
Shorts for Spring 2018
Shorts are the spring’s new must-buy, whether for work, play or evening wear. This season’s new-found legginess, takes its lead from Fall Winter 2009’s thigh-high boots and trendy tights, and manifests itself in everything from big knickers to vintage-style baggy pantaloons.
This trend will have women reaching for their fake tan and running to the gym, as the must-have accessory to these shorter-than-short pieces are toned legs.
Shorts and Hot Pants Trend
Dubbed by Uk Vogue as “hotpantaloons,” baggy shorts with turned-up cuffs are worn under blazers or slouchy tops for this season’s style chic. These bloomers take their inspiration from tap pants, which ruled the runways of Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Prada, Fendi, Alexander Wang and Danielle Scutt. Wear them in this season’s neutral and nude tones for a timeless, sophisticated look.
High-waisted hot pants (a là Prada) take on a vintage stance and for evening, studded and sequined hotpants take the place of the mini dress. Dare-to-bare as much leg as possible with hotpant hemlines no longer than 2 inches down the thigh.
Brightly-colored boy shorts give slightly more coverage and create a more relaxed-fit. Keep then casual by teaming witha slouchy t-shirt or sloppy boyfriend blazer. Try this season’s denim-on-denim look with a pair of denim boy shorts and matching denim jacket.
Vintage-style big knickers embrace the underwear-as-outerwear trend. Wear them under a classically-cut blazer. Keep that vintage look top-to-toe by accessorizing with some cute T-bars or Mary-Janes.
How to Wear the Shorts for Spring 2018
– With so much leg on show, it’s important to balance out the silhouette by covering up on top. A billowy blouse, a slouchy top or a sloppy boyfriend blazer will add some sophistication.
– Although hotpants should fit tightly on the derriere, go for styles with a relaxed front to avoid the dreaded camel toe.
– Counterbalance sexy shorts with more feminine touches such as girlie knee-high socks.
– Hotpants should be worn with tough ankle boots for attitude or this season’s must-have footwear the ‘70s-inspired chunky wooden clog. Accessorize vintage-style big knickers with some cute t-bars.
– Be careful with what is known as “negative hemlines” (hemlines which curve up the outer thigh). Choose a cut which still leaves something to the imagination and leave dignity intact.
– Don’t be afraid to do color, pattern or print. Legs are the focus of attention for Spring Summer 2010 so hotpants don’t have to be boring in black or brown.
It’s de-rigueur to wear sequined shorts and lamé for day wear too. Dumb them down with a slouchy blazer or plain blouse.
– To avoid that “ I forgot my trousers look,” accessorize ultra-short shorts with a bold belt.
Whether its vintage-style big knickers, thigh-high hotpants or baggy bloomers, the tinier they come the better. This is one spring trend that is not for the faint-hearted; it’s time to top-up that tan and tone-up those pins!