Finally Facebook has learned the difference between child nude photo and iconic Vietnam War nude napalm girl photo. After initial censoring welcoming heated criticisms even from Norwegian prime minister the social media now allows posting it on the walls.
The world’s most powerful editor, Marck Zuckerberg, has reversed its stance on banning the iconic image from Vietnam War dating back to 1972.
The photo titled “The Terror of War” was snapped by famous photographer Nick Ut. The photo shows charred Vietnamese children running away from a napalm bomb site in Trang Bang.
The Pluitzer-winning photograph was earlier this week banned by Facebook and the post was removed from the platform.
Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg said, “Facebook gets it wrong when they censor such images… I say no to this type of censorship.”
Hours later her post disappeared from her account and this followed wide public outcry from corners of the world.
Facebook said on Friday to be restoring the photo adding a naked child image would normally be presumed to be violating the community standards of the platform, but now they recognize the history importance of it in documenting a particular moment in time.
The social giant also mentioned to be adjusting its review process henceforth.
The review process relies on software as well as human moderators. It has guidelines but also is equipped with layers and layers of people to help removing of objectionable photos from the platform.